In the beginning one of the hardest things is working out exactly what we want.
When we don’t know what we want it is really hard to take action. First, without clarity it is difficult to decide which steps will make sense because we aren’t sure where we are going. Second, we can worry that because we don’t know where we are going any action we take will be a waste of effort in the wrong direction.
When I don’t know exactly what I want I work through these 10 questions.
- What don’t you want?
- What do you want?
- What will it do for you if you get it?
- How will you know when you have it?
- When, where, and with whom do you want it?
- How will getting it affect other aspects and people in your life?
- What is stopping you from having this already?
- What resources do you already have that will help you obtain it?
- What additional resources do you need to obtain it?
- What are the first steps you are going to take now?
You don’t have to spend a great deal of time on these questions, but they will help you to figure out what you want and the first steps you can take.
Added Bonus: The next time one of your loved ones comes to you asking for help simply ask them these questions. In most cases they will come up with all their own answers and they will think you are a genius!